Thursday, September 12, 2013

An Alaskan "Vacation"

We read a list on Facebook titled "You know you're an Alaskan when... "While we haven't been in Alaska long enough to relate to all of them, we definitely agree with  number 2) "Vacation" means going to Anchorage for the weekend."

I never would have imagined calling a shopping/doctor's appointment trip a vacation, but that's how exciting eating out, riding in our own car, and grocery shopping are to us now. :P

We had a wonderful time in town, and it was really good for us to take a step back from work for a few days and enjoy being together, doing whatever we felt like (as long as it came from our to-do list).

We ended up flying into Anchorage at different times. I went in first and helped out in the office until Jonathan arrived a few hours later. It was kind of a scuzzy day weather-wise but I still got to see some amazing landmarks on the flight in.
The village of Nondalton. It's only a ten-minute flight from Port A. but I'd never seen it before. It looks pretty small and lonely out in the middle of nowhere!



Port Alsworth is somewhere THAT direction. :)



 Getting up above the clouds.


 Mount Iliamna (so I'm told). You can see the small plume of smoke coming out of the top. It's an old volcano.

Glaciers surrounding Mt. Iliamna

A glacier "river"


Mt. Redoubt, a more recently active volcano. Too bad it wasn't very good weather for pictures. :/


Our first order of business when Jonathan finally arrived was lunch! We made a bee-line for Wendy's, where I realized I was biting into my first burger and fries in over four months! They were gooooood.

We spent the rest of Saturday running various errands and talking each others' ears off. :) While I was scouring the racks of a few thrift stores for maternity clothes (which I didn't find), Jonathan found a just-our-size chest freezer for an exceptional price! We bought it and the freezer shipped out almost immediately and was ready and waiting for us when we came home loaded with groceries. It is a huge blessing!

Sunday was the BIG day. We spent four hours in Costco and another hour or two in Walmart, but found a lot of good deals on things we needed, like warm socks!

We're learning how to shop more like Alaskans all the time, buying in bulk and choosing items that will stay fresh longer or are freezable. This time we made the switch from powdered milk (yuck) to boxed milk (hmm...). Shelf milk isn't completely new to me, I had it during my visits to Moscow but, while I'll take it over powdered milk, I still much prefer fresh milk.


Some of the things we miss in Port Alsworth are fresh fruit and vegetables. When we're shopping for a month or longer, we have to buy more frozen produce instead of fresh. We eat salads, fruit and some fresh veggies for a week or two after a trip into town, but after that anything left over has gone bad, so frozen is a much more practical, if not tastier, option for us.

By Sunday evening we had (almost) all of our shopping done and were ready to celebrate with our friends, Steve and Heather (and Kayden!) Routh, at Olive Garden! Olive Garden has been my favorite restaurant for years; I'm sure I could eat their salad dressing with a spoon. It was amazing.

Monday morning we found our last few grocery items and still had time to kill before my appointment so we had a date at Barnes and Noble - just like we did when we were dating! :)

Finally, the time came for my appointment! The doctor says everything looks great, my surgery is completely behind me pregnancy-wise, and we got to "see" our baby wiggling around for a few minutes! *happiness*

Coming back home was a lot more fun (minus the extra-bumpy flight) this time than the last. For one, I'm not recovering from surgery (score!) and for two, we have a house and freezer packed with yummy food!





Life is good.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna!!! THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!!!!! I was sitting here reading this post and I was, "Elijah come here, you have got to see this!" (He loves anything outdoorsish.) needless to say, he enjoyed your pictures also. :)
    I like hearing about how you all do your shopping and stuff. That was one of the things I was wondering about how you were going to do when you moved.
    Glad you and baby are doing well. You are in my thoughts and prayers often! I love you and miss you and can't wait till you come and visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The landscape there is lovely!!!!!! I'm so glad you & the baby are doing well!! Miss you and love you!!!

    ReplyDelete