Sunday, May 19, 2013

May Snowfall

Well, we've survived our first ten days and our first snow in Alaska!

We've settled into work at the Anchorage office alright, but it looks like pretty soon we'll finally be able to move out to Port Alsworth! Jonathan and his co-worker Steve, finished the work on the Bonanza late last night, and we've been told that our apartment is very close to being move-in ready!

We love the place that we're staying now, King Ranch; the views are absolutely breathtaking and we'll miss the friends we've made here.

King Mountain: the view from King Ranch.

Still, we're ready to be done with our hour-and-a-half commute each way, have water to shower and wash clothes with again, and settle into one place for a while. :)


This is the office I work in all day.
This is the office I work in all day. This job has been a pretty big learning curve, but I have really great people helping me out.

Last Friday we had our first, real Alaska snow! Nobody around here has ever seen snow on May 16th before. Alaska broke a lot of records this year, 232 days between the first and last snowfall (so far), 133.6 inches.of snowfall this winter/


I'd never seen such large flakes before, it was more like clumps of snow falling! The next morning, everything was white, but it melted off by lunchtime.

Today we had the first sunny day I can remember having up here. Jonathan says it was sunny the first few days we were here, but I honestly don't remember it. It feels like forever since we've seen the sun. I was ecstatic to see the beautiful blue sky contrasting with the white-topped mountains on the way to church this morning.



 When we first arrived here, every time I looked at the mountains all I could see was their enormity instead of their beauty. They looked so intimidating and harsh with their jagged edges. Sunshine helps them to look a lot friendlier and today I am basking in the knowledge that the great God who formed these mountains has taken personal responsibility for my care.

Somebody very special sent me this verse this week.


 "I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?

 My help comes form the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. 

Psalm 121:1

1 comment:

  1. Looks so lovely where you are!
    Miss you!
    Praying for ya'll!
    AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete