Friday, July 26, 2013

A New Beginning

Only a few days ago I posted on Facebook
 " The best thing about Port A. is how the small things become such a big deal.... " 

But I was wrong.

The best thing about Port Alsworth is not the scenery, the peacefulness, or the necessity of simple living. The absolute best thing about Port Alsworth is the people who live here.

Last night I posted on Facebook
"I hate it when I get a craving for something right after our groceries come in. Right now, some Ritz crackers would be amazing with this cheese! So, I'll put that on the list for next month. :D"
Within an hour people were offering me crackers right and left, though by that time I'd logged off and had absolutely no idea. But they didn't stop there. No way! When Jonathan went up to our friends, the Rouths', house to borrow a movie for the night, Heather sent him back with a sleeve of Ritz. Oh! how touched I was. I even felt a little guilty, but not too guilty to enjoy every bite of those crackers! I felt such a warm glow to have such friends already here in Port A.

Less than an hour later and a knock sounds at our door. Two boys held out their gifts announcing that their mom had sent them with two more sleeves of Ritz and a plate of chocolate cheesecake! (Because if a woman is craving anything, chocolate must be included.(; ) I tell you, I nearly burst into tears on the spot and still feel like it every time I think about it.

I've been such a miserable person up here. I don't like to admit it, but it's true. Sure, I've been here two months already, but these people don't really know me. I haven't given them a chance to because, honestly, I've been something of a hermit. I've holed up in my tiny apartment too afraid and too exhausted to deal with more change. I've convinced myself that nothing lies out there that compares with what I've left. I've believed that no one who has not known me my whole life can truly love me.

And I am crying now because these people have chosen to love me already, without knowing me. They have given me the chance I refused to give them. They have accepted me.

I'm sure those women never expected that their gifts would mean so much to me. They were simply loving as Christ has taught them, and in much the same way that His love transforms me, their kindness has transformed my attitude.

Until now, I have not been able to fathom thinking of Alaska as home. I haven't been able to imagine loving this place as fiercely as I hold dear my Georgia. But I see now, that Alaska has things to teach me, or rather, God has things to teach me in Alaska and that they will be so much easier for me to learn if I embrace this place as it has embraced me.

Today marks the beginning of a whole new way of seeing our life here. I can't say I will enjoy my husband working all hours of the night again tonight, or that I won't miss shopping with friends, getting frozen yogurts after a movie, hugging my sweet nieces....so many things. But I will enjoy the people here, I will breathe deep the fresh air, I will marvel again at God's creation and nearness. I will strive to learn to love and live like Christ again.

6 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! I have been praying for this VERY thing! :D :D :D :D God is good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jenna.... this came right when I needed it to! Thank you so much for posting! This was such a big blessing and encouragement to me!!! Thank you so very much! Our God is so amazing!!! I am praying for you and Jonathan!!! Lord bless you all! Love you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Jenna! Thanks so much for posting!
    You made me cry! I hope things will be a bit easier from now on!
    Love ya girl!
    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so sweet, Jenna, and I'm so glad that you have seen this now, at the beginning of your time here. There have been many things that the Lord has taught me, wonderful, deep, life changing lessons that I would never have learned if God hadn't put me in hard circumstances first. But, when I stopped holding on to my "how things should be" mentality and started looking for the blessings, God opened my eyes up to all the myriad ways He was already blessing me in the hard times. My perspective changed to one of gratefulness and seeing the treasures of His provision around me. Look for them, they're there!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog post made me cry.. Praise the Lord for answered prayers, because I was praying for this, or something like this to happen. :D Love you Girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing and so true! Beautifully written and a good reminder for me as I am going through some of the same things here thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete